Thursday, October 2, 2008

To be or Not to be "Topsy Turvy"


For any female that just recently got married, is getting married, or has been to a wedding, sweet sixteen party, etc...., you may have seen the latest craze in cakes....the Whimsical or "Topsy Turvy" cake. I absolutly love these cakes, and am scheduled to make one, at the end of the month, for a sweet sixteen, so I thought I'd practice on one this week.

Saturday, we are celebrating Amys' (one of my best friends) birthday. This is a perfect opportunity for me to make this cake, right? I thought so too. So last night I baked the cakes - a two tier triple chocoalte cake.

Well, I am glad I went thru this trial run. I already screwed up. I didn't realize until after I crumb coated the cake with buttercream icing that I was supposed to shape the cake BEFORE I crumb coated it! I guess I am not making a Topsy Turvy cake this weekend afterall....haha! Oh well, I can still use it as a trial run on all the fondant decorations.

FYI: This is what happens when you start watching a scary, borderline "B" movie with your husband while baking at 11:00 at night...on a work night. I rarely sleep!

No comments: