Monday, October 6, 2008

Grande Cakes
















I work for Grande Communications - Network Services department. For the past two-three years I've been making cakes for my Departments' birthdays, for a very small fee, and most recently, I started making cakes for a few of the other departments. The Operations Department ordered two cakes for their September birthday's; a German Chocolate and a Strawberry Cheesecake.

This was the first time I wasn't completly horrified by the look of my German Chocolate Cake....specifically, the icing. I realized that I wasn't letting my icing cool long enough before I started applying it to the cake. I normally end up with icing dripping down the sides because it hasn't hardened. The funny thing is, it didn't matter with this particular cake. Since I'd seen a lot of people use buttercream icing around the entire cake and only apply the German Chocolate glase to the top....I did it this time. Oh, well....maybe I'll try icing the entire cake next time. BTW: I'm told my cake and icing are very good. I never eat it...I hate coconut and nuts!

As far as the Cheesecake goes, I used my old reliable recipe, but made a thicker graham cracker crust. Totally loved how it looked. I think I need to try out a new pan though. Can you see the ridge mine is leaving?

No comments: