Monday, September 7, 2009

Medellion-Garcia Grooms Cake


Medellin-Garcia Grooms Cake ~ May 16, 2009

The bride requested the Bass Fish cake as a second "surprise" grooms cake for her fiance. He is an avid fisherman, and she knew this cake would just make his day.

I never thought I could make a 2-D or 3-D cake out of carrot cake, but that is what the bride requested. For starters, my carrot cake is so moist, I was positive it would not hold its shape once I started carving. Secondly, in order to decorate this cake as she requested, I had to use a fondant overlay. Well, carrot cake just isn't carrot cake unless you have cream cheese icing, and cream cheese icing does not hold its shape.....so how on earth was I planning to lay fondant over the top. Finally, a Bass Fish! How on earth do you make that look real?

Let me know what you think of the outcome.

Oh...and thanks to my girl Jamie P. for helping me through this one!

No comments: